Welcome to the official website of BattleLion
- 22/11/2004 : 1 wallpaper added, section download.
- 18/06/2004 : 5 vehicles added.
and more coming soon...
- 24/02/2004 : Addition of the section "features".
Quick description of each vehicle already done.
- 20/02/2004 : Launch of the Battlelion website.
There is not a lot of thing now, but it will come with time ;)
is an multiplayer action / tactics 3D game project. We mainly want to
create something that you would want to play sometimes, not the "game
of the year". Simple & fun, in other words...
and action are merged to give a simple gameplay... Two teams, a base in
which you can buy vehicles and prepare for battle, and the objective is
to destroy the opponents base by one out of two means : front attack
(quite hard but requires few tactics), or the destruction of an
anti-air building and the calling of a bomber force.
- This will be a cross-platform game ! (Linux & Windows, essentially, but MacOS will probably be operational).
Project is currently being refactored to fit new developpent dispositions.
3D Engine : 5% (about 33% before refactoring)
Physics engine : 0% (about 60% before refactoring, but with some bugs)
2D Display : 0%
Gameplay : 0% (about 5% before refactoring)
Sound : 0%
BattleLion is written in C++, uses OpenGL and will use SDL library (www.libsdl.org), which is under LGPL licence.
The project is mainly a game we develop for fun (fun is in development AND will be in playing !).
As it will be a action / tactics game, it will have these features (which are quite common for a game of that type) :
- 3D engine, implemented with openGL, no specific features (this will be a small engine at first, so it will have no big FX)
- Physics engine, a simple one with collisions detection and forces applied to solid objects, no deformations
octree, to display a scene with many objects without having to check
the presence of all of them in the fustrum, and to accelerate the
- 2D display, for the HUD & the in-game menus
- Multiplayer in TCP or UDP as in most multiplayer games (just a IP and a port to send a few data...)
- Inputs from keyboard and mouse, using SDL lib
- Sounds played using SDL lib
- Textures and model pool (A class that gives access to textures or models without loading twice the same)
- TGA decoder for textures
- ASE decoder for models (Is ASE free to use ? If not, we'll use another, as DXF)
- Home-made file format for maps of the games
- A very simple IA, to test some features without having human players
- In-game console to change settings
that we will probably port it from french to english, once it will be
to a beta sate (The game will be playable even if you do not speak a
word of french, as it isn't a RPG...). We will of course concentrate on
gameplay fisrt (as our team is very limited)...